Sunday, February 21, 2016

Tasting - Indwe Pinotage



Name: Indwe
Variety: Pinotage
Region: Western Cape
Country: South Africa
Year: 2013
Price: $12 (Sale $5.95)

Robert Parker Review: A disclaimer: I have never cared much for Pinotage, the indigenous South African grape variety, but this 2013 Pinotage from Indwe, named after the country's national bird, the blue crane, comes across like a light Pinot Noir. Subtle notes of cherries, spice and forest floor are followed by a round, light to medium-bodied, pure, seductive, well-crafted wine.

My Review: This wine had a very deep, not transparent color. The smell was a mix of bitterness, spicy and leather all at the same time. Just from smelling it, I felt like I should drink this in mad men in a black leather room. There were some cranberry tones at the end of a sniff I could also get. When I drank it, the heat was focused at the end of the sip. There was a touch of cranberry taste, but there was a spicy after taste. It kind of tasted like a bad cherry medicine you had to drink as a child. This was tasted without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment